Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Thyroid update...

Well my mom just called. She said the doctor called and he said it was a cold nodule-meaning it didn't take up the dye. That doesn't mean it's cancer (They'd said if it was hot it definitely wasn't and if it was cold it could possibly be.) but they're going to do the biopsy to make sure and all that other fun stuff. The appointment for it could possibly be Tuesday at 9 depending on if the radiology clinic is available or something...They said they'd get back to us on that. Not looking forward to the early time though. -_-


<3 erika k.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

in general only about 10% of cold nodules can be a cancer; the risk is somehow higher among patients younger then 20 y.o.
make sure that biopsy is done under ultrasound, so at least the good sample will be obtained.
Best of luck!!

Erika K. said...

Thanks!
They are doing it under ultra sound so hopefully all will be well.
=]


<3 erika k.

April JoAnne said...

Aww sorry you're going through all that. If it's any consolation, my mom, my aunt, my sister, and my cousin have all had thyroid problems.

My mom's was cancerous (I think) and they took it out and my aunt just had her surgery on Monday to remove the lump even though there was no cancer in it whatsoever.

It's a common problem and I'm sure you'll beo kay <3

Anonymous said...

Erika:
According to the AACE (2003) "Hemorrhage into a pre-existing nodule may cause acute painful enlargement". Therefore what you are havung can be just "complex" cyst filled with partially dried blood. If so, then the probability of cancer is very low.

Erika K. said...

Okay, thanks for all the info!
=]


<3 erika k.